Caring for your uPVC windows
Taking proper care of your uPVC windows and doors is an easy enough task, it’s just about knowing how to go about it exactly. Whether you have uPVC windows or uPVC doors (or both), external upvc doors or front upvc doors – they do need taking care of once in a while, despite companies claiming that they’re maintenance-free. Maintenance-free just means they will never need coated or painted in order to stay in fine shape. So, why do uPVC windows and doors need cleaning? Well, like most surfaces, they will pick up dirt and dust in the air, especially during hotter seasons. uPVC doors that are opened regularly will likely get dirty from being touched so constantly and letting dirt and dust in the air come through. This is particularly the case for internal doors if you’re at home a lot.
Keeping your windows and doors clean means more than just the glass. Here are some helpful tips for cleaning your window and door frames effectively without damaging them.
- Vacum dirt from sill and track areas before washing. Clean window and door frames with a mixture of mild dishwashing soap and water. Always test cleaners in an inconspicuous area first.
- Abrasive or caustic cleaners or solvents are never recommended because they might cause permanent damage to the frame finish.
- Mild, nonabrasive soaps are usually safest for most dirt and stain removal.
- Always rinse completely with clear water and wipe dry.
- Check to make certain that drainage or “weep” holes are always clear of dirt or obstructions—both inside and outside the window or door in the bottom of the frame.
Note: If the window is “stacked,” there may be weep holes between units.
Glass care today is more important than ever. Insulating, low-e or heat reflective glass requires proper maintenance to ensure their complete effectiveness.
- Never use any petroleum-based cleaners, or caustic chemicals on your glass.
- Never use a razor blade, putty knife or abrasive pad to clean the glass.
- Do not use a high-pressure spray nozzle when rinsing your windows after washing. All of these practices may damage the glass surface, the insulating glass seal, or component parts.
- Clean glass with a mixture of mild dish soap and water. Rinse completely with clear water, then wipe dry with a soft cloth to avoid water spots.
- Avoid washing glass in direct sunlight.
- Abrasive or caustic cleaners are never recommended because they might cause permanent damage to the finish or the glass.
- Clean screens by first removing, then washing on a flat, clean surface with mild soap and water and a soft brush. Rinse, wipe dry and re-install.
Vinyl frames or vinyl cladding may be affected by solar radiation or chemicals that can cause color change.
- Frame Color Change
Chemicals can cause PVC discoloration. All fuels, solvents, bleaches or corrosive chemicals must be avoided.
- In dry climates with high levels of solar energy a color change can be expected with PVC, like most any finish.
- color change has no effect on the strength or structural integrity of the PVC.
- Overtime and with exposure to normal humidity, this yellowing most often returns to a white color.
To ensure that your windows and doors open, close, lock and unlock easily for years to come, follow these helpful maintenance tips to keep your windows and door operating smoothly.
- Moving parts in hardware components and tracks and rollers should be lubricated periodically in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance instructions. In salt-air environments this can mean at least monthly.
- Check weather stripping around operable window and door panels and be sure it seals evenly.
- On sliding doors and windows, make certain track area is kept clean. Vacum as needed to clear dirt or any debris.
- Adjust sliding door rollers for proper height clearances. Most door rollers can be adjusted with a screwdriver through access holes in either the end or side of the sliding panel at the bottom.
- Rolling screen doors maybe adjusted to run smoothly. Use a screwdriver—often in all four corners—to make adjustment.
- After making door roller adjustments, it may be necessary to make adjustments in the lock strike placement. Most strikes may be adjusted by loosening screw fasteners, moving strike plate and tightening. Check for proper lock operation.
Mold & Condensation
Window condensation can be a natural occurence. It can be a warning that excessive moisture is present and may cause structural deterioration and the possibility of mold growth.
- Condensation on the inside of a window is a result of a higher air moisture content contacting lower temperatures on the glass. The higher the interior humidity and the lower the outside window temperature, the more condensation can occur.
- Excessive interior humidity can lead to structural damage and health concerns if high moisture levels are sustained inside wall cavities. Mold and mildew can result.
- Check all sash for smooth adequate operation. Add integrated window ventilators and air exchange devices if necessary.
- Regularly use exhaust fans especially when showering.
- Install and use a dehumidifier. Use ceiling fans to circulate air.
- Open windows and doors whenever practical or possible to allow interior moisture to escape
Windows and doors often have a simple drainage system or "weep" system designed right into the product. These water drainage pathways must be kept clear and clean for the window or door to operate correctly.
- It is normal for water to accumulate in the sill or track area with wind driven rain. The water is intended to drain to the outside as water builds up or outside pressure subsides.
- Keep sill or track areas clean of dirt or debris
- Make sure that outside and inside “weep” holes and sill area are kept clear of any dirt, cement , sand, or building materials.
- Use a small, soft bottlebrush to clear openings.
- Windows can be vulnerable to water leakage at the corners if not properly maintained. If a crack appears, it should be sealed with a top grade of sealant in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
Are Your Windows Guaranted
Yes. ALCOR WINDOWS, PATIO DOORS AND COMPONENT PARTS (Transferable, Prorated)
The ALCOR LIFETIME GUARANTEE is a limited warranty that the windows and doors you have purchased may be enjoyed for a lifetime of use in your home. Alcor Limited (hereinafter referred to as "ALCOR") makes the following limited warranty on its vinyl window and door products (hereinafter referred to as the "Product") which is installed at the residential property described below and on attached limited warranty card. This warranty is transferable by you to subsequent owners of the property, provided, however, that ALCOR receives written notification of the transfer of title of the property within sixty (60) days of the date of transfer of ownership. Failure to so notify ALCOR within the sixty day period will relieve ALCOR of any further obligations under this warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the installation of the Product in Jamaica.
COVERAGE UNDER THIS WARRANTY
1. MATERIALS: ALCOR warrants that the Product was manufactured according to ALCOR specifications and that the vinyl extrusions used in the manufacture of ALCOR products are free from material defects and, subject to the limitations listed below, that the Product will not crack, warp, pit, corrode, peel, or blister and it will maintain its proper colour characteristics under normal use and service for the lifetime of the home.
2. WORKMANSHIP: ALCOR warrants for a period of twenty-five (25) years from date of purchase, that the product was manufactured using good workmanship.
3. INSULATING GLASS UNITS: The original factory -installed insulating glass units are warranted not to "fail" for a period of ten (10) years from the date of purchase shown on the attached warranty card. A "failed" insulating glass unit is one that develops a significant obstruction of vision resulting from a moisture formation or dust collection between the interior glass surfaces caused by failure of the hermetic seal. (Condensation on glass which may occur as a result of interior/exterior temperature differential and/or humidity does not indicate a defect and is not covered by this warranty).
4. WINDOW AND DOOR PARTS: All other window and door parts, including hardware, screens, gaskets, and weather-stripping are warranted to be free from material defects for a period of five 5) years from date of purchase.
5. EXCLUSIONS: This warranty des not cover defects or damages due to installation or consequences of faulty installation including failure, damage, or deterioration caused by faulty installation, mildew, oxidation accidents, normal weathering, corrosive atmosphere contaminated with chemical fumes, harmful fumes vapors or chemicals, settlement, structural shrinkage or building movement, building heat or excessive temperature exposure, fire, lightening, earthquakes, hurricanes, storms, or any other Acts of God, explosions, riot, civil disturbances, war, misuse or abuse, neglect or reasonable and necessary maintenance, or any other cause beyond the control of ALCOR. this warranty shall be void if any alterations or modifications are made to the product as installed. Chalking, sealant, fillers and insulation applied around the Product are not considered part of the Product and are not covered under this warranty.
MATERIAL DEFECTS EXPLAINED: A material defect is a defect which impairs the usefulness or appearance of the product, and does not apply to a minor imperfection which is not visible more than 10 feet away. Over long periods of time, slight colour change may occur due to natural weathering exposure, but this would not be considered a defect in the window.
6. REMEDIES: ALCOR will not be required to honor this warranty without being given reasonable opportunity to have its representative investigate any claim made. If after investigation ALCOR determines the claim is valid, ALCOR'S sole responsibility and owner's only remedy shall be as follows: a. MATERIALS and WORKMANSHIP In the event ALCOR has a limited warranty obligation with respect to materials and workmanship, ALCOR may choose to, at its option, to repair the Product or to deliver replacement material for any defective part of the product to the site where the Product is installed. Owner assumes responsibility for all labour charges if Product is installed with noticeable material defect.
If ALCOR chooses to furnish replacement aterial, ALCOR will deliver the replacement parts at no charge to the owner for the first five years from the date of installation. Thereafter, and through the fifteenth year. ALCOR'S share will decrease by five percent (5%) per year and the owner's share will increase by five percent (5%) per year so that by the end of year fifteen, and thereafter, during the term of this limited warranty, ALCOR will be obligated to pay fifty percent (50%) of such cost, and the owner will be obligated to pay fifty percent (50%).
If ALCOR chooses to furnish replacement materials, the cost of installation will be shared by ALCOR as follows: year one of limited warranty, ALCOR 100%, year two through to ong>ALCOR 50% - owner 50%, year six and thereafter, owner is responsible for 100% of installation charges. b. INSULATING GLASS: If ALCOR has a limited warranty obligation with respect to insulating glass, ALCOR will furnish replacement Product.
ALCOR and owner will share replacement product and installation costs as follows: ALCOR'S share will be 100% for year one through to year three; ALCOR and owner will share the cost equally during the fourth through tenth year of this limited warranty.
REGISTRATION OF WARRANTY COVERAGE
7. IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR COVERAGE UNDER THIS WARRANTY, THE ATTACHED WARRANTY REGISTRATION CARD MUST BE COMPLETED AND SIGNED BY YOU AND THE CONTRACTOR WHO INSTALLED YOUR PRODUCT AND MUST BE RETURNED TO ALCOR WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER COMPLETION OF INSTALLATION. ANY CLAIM UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY MUST BE MADE WITHIN THE APPLICABLE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD AND MUST BE MADE WITHIN THIRTY DAYS AFTER BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY IS DISCOVERED BY THE OWNER.
ANY CLAIM UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANT MUST BE MADE IN WRITING AND MUST INCLUDE THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOCUMENT OR A REFERENCE TO THE DATE ON WHICH IT WAS ISSUED, THE CERTIFICATE NUMBER OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY AND THE OWNER'S NAME AND ADDRESS. ALCOR WILL NOT HAVE ANY OBLIGATION UNDER THIS WARRANTY UNTIL ALL BILLS FOR THE PRODUCT AND INSTALLATION AND OTHER WORK PERFORMED ARE PAID IN FULL BY THE OWNER.
8. ALCOR MAKES NO WARRANTY FOR DETERMINING JOBSITE CONDITIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS REQUIRING SPECIAL CONSIDERATION IN THE MANUFACTURE OR PRODUCTS INSTALLED, NOR DOES ALCOR MAKE ANY OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, BY OPERATION OF LAW OR OTHERWISE, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH HEREIN.
ALCOR SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE TO THE OWNER OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOST PROFIT OR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONTINGENCY DAMAGES OR LOSSES FOR ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE, THE PRODUCTS FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER. OWNER AGREES THAT OWNER'S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY AGAINST ALCOR SHALL BE FOR THE REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR OF THE PRODUCT AS STATED HEREIN.
ALCOR'S TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS LIMITED TO THE DOLLAR AMOUNT OF THE ORIGINAL PAYMENT WHICH ALCOR RECEIVED FOR THE PRODUCT. NO MODIFICATION OR AMENDMENT OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL BE BINDING ON ALCOR UNLESS MADE IN WRITING AND SIGNED BY ALCOR'S AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE.
THIS DOCUMENT CONSTITUTES THE ENTIRE LIMITED WARRANTY MADE BY ALCOR. THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, COVENANTS AND PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN THIS LIMITED WARRANTY MAY BE WAIVED ONLY IN WRITING AND SIGNED BY AN AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF ALCOR. THE INVALIDITY AND UNENFORCEABILITY OF ANY PROVISION OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT AFFECT THE VALIDITY AND ENFORCEABILITY OF ANY REMAINING PROVISION, AND THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL BE CONSTRUED IN ALL RESECTS AS IF ANY INVALID OR UNENFORCEABLE PROVISION IS OMITTED.